CMTO MCQ Exam Breakdown
|Category||Percentage Weight||Number of Questions|
- Employ effective questioning techniques
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Knowledge of relevant provincial and federal requirements.
- Knowledge of the mandate and roles of a regulatory body
- Knowledge of CMTO requirements (e.g., Policies, Standards of Practice)
- Differentiate between the role of a regulatory body and that of a professional association.
- Knowledge of quality assurance requirements
- Knowledge of professional practice documentation requirements
- Knowledge of security, confidentiality and access requirements for records
- Knowledge of standard hygiene practices
- Knowledge of standard precautions of infection control.
- Understand research processes.
- Knowledge of billing procedures
- Knowledge of the purpose and components of informed consent
- Knowledge of potential sensitive areas
- Knowledge of what constitutes abuse in the client-therapist relationship.
- Explain the therapist’s responsibility for managing the client-therapist
- Knowledge of the characteristics and implications of transference and countertransference.
- Knowledge of the components of a comprehensive case history
- Incorporate assessment findings of other healthcare practitioners into assessment planning
- Identify indications for assessing client, based on presenting symptoms and conditions.
- Knowledge of safety considerations and adaptation of assessments for client, based on presenting symptoms and conditions
- Modify assessments based upon emerging findings
- Perform vital signs assessment.
- Identify indications, safety considerations for and the components of performing the following assessments as well as differentiate between normal and abnormal findings:
- Palpatory assessment
- Gait assessment
- Vital signs assessment
- Postural assessment
- Range of motion assessment
- Muscle length assessment
- Muscle strength assessment
- Joint play assessment
- Neurological assessment
- Identify indications, safety considerations for and the components of performing special tests
- Identify the purpose of the selected test
- Knowledge of how the selected test affects the involved tissues
- Formulate a clinical impression / differential diagnosis
- Recognize presentations of common urgent medical conditions and the appropriate responses to urgent medical events
- Knowledge of presentations that require non-urgent medical care and the appropriate responses to non- urgent medical events.
- Knowledge of considerations that guide treatment planning, including principles of massage
- Formulate an individualized treatment plan. Incorporate relevant assessment data, research evidence, and clinical experience into development of a client centered treatment plan.
- Relate treatment components to indications and safety considerations
- Knowledge of health sciences related to client symptoms and conditions
- Knowledge of common clinical presentations
- Apply treatment modalities and techniques based on commonly-occurring symptoms and conditions
- Knowledge of appropriate draping for treatment
- Select self care based upon desired outcomes
- Knowledge of how to instruct client in self care
- Knowledge of the components, indications, safety considerations, effects, and outcomes of the following techniques:
- skin rolling
- percussive techniques
- rocking and shaking
- muscle stripping
- muscle approximation
- fascial / myofascial techniques
- joint mobilization techniques
- lymphatic drainage techniques
- trigger point techniques
- Golgi tendon organ techniques
- Knowledge of components, indications, safety considerations, procedures, effects, and outcomes of the following techniques:
- range of motion exercises
- strengthening exercises
- cardiovascular exercises
- proprioception exercises
- Perform and direct clients for thermal exercises. Knowledge of indications, safety considerations, effects, and outcomes of:
- Heat Applications
- Cold Applications
- Contrast Applications
- Incorporate and apply an understanding of :
- Pharmacology as it relates to massage therapy